This viral math problem has stunned the internet. The answer to this maths puzzle is very debatable even among the higher mathematics degree holders. Can you give the correct answer to this easy yet very confusing maths puzzle question? Try on your own before seeing the answer.
Answer : The only thing that we need to keep in mind while solving this math problem is the BODMAS rule.
BODMAS : You have to evaluate the Brackets first, then Order of Powers that is the exponent, then Division or Multiplication which have the same preference and at last Addition or Subtraction which also have the same preference.
Remember : If two operators have same preference then they are evaluated left to right in an expression. For example : If multiplication and division both appear in an expression then the first one from the left will be evaluated first.
Hence if we go by the above method of evaluation :
- Step 1 : By the BODMAS rule, since multiplication and division both appear here, we will start from the left side. As multiplication comes first hence we will perform the multiplication first :
3 - (3 x 0) + 3 ÷ 3 = 3 - 0 + 3 ÷ 3
- Step 2: Now we will evaluate the division operator :
3 - 0 + (3 ÷ 3) = 3 - 0 + 1
- Step 3: Finally, it reduces to simple evaluation of numbers and operators :
3 - 0 + 1 = 4
Hence 4 is the answer.
Did You Know?
There are basically two different types of ORDERs OF OPERATION that are being used to solve expressions like this, namely
The above two are practically the same, just called out by different names in different countries :
- PEMDAS which stands for Parentheses, Exponent, Multiplication, Division, Addition and Subtraction is commonly used in the United States.
- BODMAS which stands for Brackets, Order, Division/Multiplication and Addition/Subtraction is commonly used in U.K, Indian Subcontinent, Australia and few other countries.
For more information on ORDER OF OPERATION you can refer to WIKIPEDIA article here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
Do remember to share this debated math problem with your friends and family and see whether they can figure out the correct answer.
Also try : The 9 2 5 Math Problem